Monday 29 November 2021

Have You Made A Rangoli Design Before?

Hello! For reading, we have been learning about Diwali. Diwali is a festival of lights and is celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, and some Buddhists. This event lasts for about 5 days.

For our learning task we read some books on Epic and watched a short video explaining what Diwali is. For our create task, using paper, chalk or drawing online, we created our own Rangoli pattern.

To give you more context on what Rangoli patterns are, a rangoli pattern is an art form from India, there are different kinds of patterns, this type of art is usually made on the floor or on a table. To make the design you use materials like powdered limestone, red ochre, dry rice flower, coloured sand, quartz powder, flower petals, and coloured rocks. But instead of those, we used chalk, although some drew on paper/online.

I thought this activity was lovely! Learning about other cultures was a great experience for me. Have you done a Rangoli pattern before?

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Hannah,

    I really enjoyed seeing your and your friends create this ranoli to welcome people into our classroom. I can see that you have learned a lot from your reflective quality blog post. Great mahi. Tino pai!

    Ma te wa,
    Miss Hickling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah my name is Mila and I am from New Windsor School, I really like the colours you and your friends used to make the Rangoli pattern. It looks really pretty. How long did it take for you to finish the Rangoli pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah!
    Yes I have made a rangoli before but I can't imagine taking all the time I have to make a rangoli that big.
    Did you make it by hand?
    You can check out my blog at: https://nwsyuvaans.blogspot.com/
    Yuvaan rm23 NWS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.