Tuesday 6 July 2021

My Explanation on how Kimonos are made!

For Week 8-9 of Writing, we got to choose our own topic to write about for explanation! I chose to write about How to Make Kimonos! Though I was worried at first I would write misinformation and incorrect spelling, I still gave it a try. Here's my explanation about how to make kimonos!

How Kimonos Are Made?

Do you know how Kimonos are made? Do you know what it is? Kimonos are a traditional Japanese clothing, and in this writing I will explain how it is made. 


For starters, to explain what it is, the term "Kimono" (きもの) means "thing to wear", which has two parts, "Ki" (to wear on the shoulders) and "mono" (thing). The clothing is T-shaped, wrapped-front garment that has square sleeves and a rectangular body. It is worn with a sash called an obi and worn with accessories called zori sandals and tabi socks.

To make the kimono, you will need single rolls of fabric, it has to be 36cm wide and 11 metres long. This type of cloth is called a tanmono, the cloth is cut into 7 straight pieces which extends up front, over the shoulder, and down the back, you use two panels. 


To dye the kimono, the maker uses a technique dating back from the 8th century. There are a variety of "resist-dyeing" methods in Japan, like the Shibori. The process involves binding, stitching, folding the cloth and soaking it in the dye. It is bound with a thread before submerging it.

Lastly, for the embroidery, the embroiderer uses a number of different stitches. They also use a flat stitch called a hira-nui to make designs such as flowers and leaves. They use floss silk to give the embroidery a gorgeous shine.

Now I have explained how kimonos are finely stitched, dryed, and finally worn.
My learning went well, I found it very educational to do this topic since I learnt a lot along the way of making this piece of writing! Have you worn a kimono yet? If you can, let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.