Friday 16 April 2021

My Recount Writing on Our 2021 Marae Stay!

Good Morning/Afternoon! This week we created a Recount writing on our recent Marae trip, the name of the Marae was 'Takipu Marae'. This took me a week to finish, and we were learning how to: Use specific nouns in our writing. I added photos of our experiences in the trip. Here's my piece: 


Our 2-Day Stay at Takipu Marae


"5, 4, 3, 2, 1!" The students yelled, I pushed through the inflated stardome. Inside it was dark, with only the projector lighting up the room. All the students from our group, Group 2, settled down on the soft fluff rug. 


Auntie suddenly spoke over the headset, "I'll now play a video for us to watch." The blank screen lit up and flashed hues and animated people from Māori tribes illuminated from the optical device. Auntie continuously explained and reflected the story and the valuables and stratagems the tribes used during travel at sea, their early lives, and traditions.

After the short movie clip, she introduced us to the picture of the start our ancestors used to navigate to their locations, and everyone sang a beautiful tune about the image of the stars she taught us. Next on the exhibit was the best part of the stardome, the projector played overhead a collection of heavenly bodies of stars, I layed down, gazing up. The stars looked like an empty black canvas, with white paint dotted and sprinkled on the frame in a caressed way, I felt a sense of unexplainable joy. The room went quiet and relaxed, inaudible "Oohs" and "Woah!" can be slightly heard. "Look Hannah! It's those stars we saw earlier!" My friend, Seddon exclaimed, pointing up and following where the little sun went. "Oh there it is!" I enthusiastically replied back, spotting the miniature orb.

"We'll have to go now everyone! Say thank you to her for being here with us today." Mrs. Naden announced. Groans and mumbled complaints could be heard from the kids, everyone got up and waved goodbye, I decided to utter my gratitude to Auntie for being able to teach us about fascinating history, "You're welcome, Hannah!" She replied back, the same as before, we counted to five, a student left the stardome, repeatedly until everyone was outside the platform. As we left the Wharekai, I thought to myself "I hope we can do this another time!" as I pull on my shoes for the next activity at Takipu Marae.

Pictures from the Marae stay:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.